Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Aging Gracefully

I sometimes fail to become excited by the new-ness in buildings and objects because all I can do is imagine how they will look 10 - 20 - 50 - 100 years from now. Why is it that when I study photographs of old structures, I find so much more depth and life? How might we think more about design for aging gracefully,? projecting out the behavior of materials as a real estate developer would project the amortization of his loan over time.

Obviously, wabi sabi, "The Japanese view of life embraced a simple aesthetic that grew stronger as inessentials were eliminated and trimmed away," embraces the idea of simplicity, with exuberances stripped so that we can perceive built material as natural as possible in it's essence. In my opinion, a bilogical approach to building, in that attention is paid to the life of the object after it's conception.

1 comment: